In desperate need of a tool

Robert Palac

Hello,

I am in in desperate need of a socket to remove the inner wheel hub bearing nut on an old truck. The socket is 2-3/4” and is called an “Axel Socket” or “Wheel Bearing Socket”.

The difference between a bearing socket and a standard steel wall socket is the thickness of the wall. It is made thinner since the clearance between the drum hub and the spindle nut is fairly close.

I have been looking for about two months already. I am working on a 1976 International Loadstar 1600 4 x 4 dump truck that I was hoping to have back on the road. (my second rebuild of this beast).

I have tried to borrow it from a few truck repair places but only one had it (G.L. Sayer) and no they won’t lend it out even for a fee.

Thank you,

Robert (and Dawn) Palac

Cell: 484-620-9655

Kevin McLemore

What you’re looking for is also called a wheel bearing locknut socket. OTC makes all sizes - you need part number #1923:

A local retailer for OTC is Callahan Bearings in Colmar, PA, and they may have it in stock. If they don’t, they may be able to point you to another dealer who does.

On Nov 9, 2022, at 8:59 AM, Robert Palac via groups.io <rpalac@...> wrote:

Hello,

I am in in desperate need of a socket to remove the inner wheel hub bearing nut on an old truck. The socket is 2-3/4” and is called an “Axel Socket” or “Wheel Bearing Socket”.

The difference between a bearing socket and a standard steel wall socket is the thickness of the wall. It is made thinner since the clearance between the drum hub and the spindle nut is fairly close.

I have been looking for about two months already. I am working on a 1976 International Loadstar 1600 4 x 4 dump truck that I was hoping to have back on the road. (my second rebuild of this beast).

I have tried to borrow it from a few truck repair places but only one had it (G.L. Sayer) and no they won’t lend it out even for a fee.

Thank you,

Robert (and Dawn) Palac

Cell: 484-620-9655

Attachments:

Kevin McLemore

Oh, and I found another (cheaper) option online as well:

The the earlier Amazon link to an OTC socket is what I recommend, though, if you’re going to do this more than once. Owatonna Tools (OTC) are expensive, but they’re what the pros use and are extremely durable. I used to sell them when I ran a tool warehouse. We very rarely ever got a return.

Cheers,
Kevin