78 MGB Charcoal Canisters and the some.....

Jeff Detwiler

Hi All,

First, a very appreciative Thank You to all with your vast expertise albeit personal
experience or where to find answers and resources of knowledge regarding our unique LBC's.
I was up until the wee hours last night thumbing thru posts-upon-posts on mgexp.com
intrigued by the number of ideas (and folks who have been down this path before me).
I had never thought to go surfing there - Thanks Pastor Mark for your input as well
as others with photos from your MG or past repairs.

One tenet thru all of my reading that caught my attention was to not just jump to the
easiest or cheapest solution right-away.  Some threads suggested "why not just restore
the original Vent system?"  Hmmm - that sounds like a lot of effort, especially if it was
removed for a very good reason a long time ago by someone more of a mechanic than I.

Yes, here is where I have to digress for a moment since success does have it's mini rewards.
Well, Mary and I got the MG out early this morning and we took a drive up River Road
thru New Hope and had breakfast at the Lumberville General Store.
The MG once again ran like a top (Yippie!).
We got home and I opened up the (boot) for a look see - perfectly dry (Whew!)
Gas tank was also down 1/4 after a 55 mile RT.  So, I am currently clear of the tank
being too full for the time being.
Next, I popped open the engine (i.e. bonnet) and started to refresh myself with all of
the original Emissions elements I had been reading about last night.

I knew some bits were still there, but "if it ain't broken - don't fix it".
So, for many years I have mostly overlooked many of these component parts since
they have not been my main headache nor needed my attention (I thought).
Surprisingly, I found more there than I truly thought would have helped me if I were
to possibly tackle the idea of maybe why not "restore the original Vent system".

With all the mgexp.com and Moss motors diagrams and a few snapshots (see attached),
I believe I have 90% still in place to possibly make the "Vent system" whole.
As you will see I need to figure out where a few pieces go.
So once again, I could use a little help, maybe a photo from yours if similar to get
me in the right neighborhood.

In particular, since I have a Weber downdraft Carb set-up, I am not sure from the
Moss diagrams where (Hose #62) goes after it leaves the ARO valve.
I remember (Hose #64) went to the front radiator bulkhead for fresh air, I believe.
Unfortunately, I do not know without crawling thru my attic (probably 105* today) if
I still have the original (Vapor Separator #76) nor the undercarriage tube (Tube #83).
Bad news too, Moss sez these are (Unavailable)....... Hmmmm
Boy, I hope they are in the attice.

Otherwise, I think I can regain the original "Vent system" if I can find the few missing bits
and understand where to connect the Anti-Run-On hose once I track down the AWOL pieces.
As before, any suggestions, ideas or comments are all Welcome, I'm all ears (and thumbs.....)

Thanks again for your quick a valuable support,
Jeff (and The Furry Jedi)

James J Schulte

Jeff
It's good you get to vent your gases here...a little MG humor. Hope you solve your problem. Good to see you Saturday.
Jim

On Sun, Jun 26, 2022 at 4:36 PM, Jeff Detwiler via groups.io
<nsp7919@...> wrote:
[...]

Rev. Mark McDowell

Jeff,

I still have the recovery set up as best as possible with a Weber. I will take some pictures and diagram and stuff when I get home and send you the results.

Mark

<nsp7919@...> wrote:
[...]

Here are some pictures of the setup I have.

The first picture shows the line coming up from the tank to the vapor recovery canister. The second and third show the metal loop that is on the inside top of the trunk (boot) and where it leads down to run under the car. The fourth picture shows the vapor line from the Weber carb to the charcoal canisters. The fifth shows the charcoal canisters and where the line comes up from under the chassis. The bottom of the left charcoal canister had a tube that ran to the anti run-on valve which is useless with the Weber.
You will note that I have also removed the windshield washer fluid reservoir and pump in addition to the anti run-on valve and associated tubing. If you would like any of that I have it on a shelf in the garage (it was all fully functional at the time of removal).
Let me know if you have any questions that I may be able to answer.

Mark

<nsp7919@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Pastor Mark,

Very Nice.
I see the obligatory Fire Extinguisher is in place as well.
I am amazed (and curious) why the metal tube from the Vapor Separator (along the trunk hinge) is such a long run. I do not remember that from the old days and the Moss catalog diagrams do not appear to be such a long run. But, as long as it works, why question.
Unfortunately, I did not find that tube nor my original Vapor Separator in my attic today.

I see your one Charcoal canister has an open port. That port connects to my Anti-Run-On valve which still installed, whereas yours is not.

However, I can not tell where your hose connects to the Weber carb.
Mine has a little manifold under the air cleaner
and guess that might be the spot.
Unfortunately, mine looks as if it has a press-fit plug in it, if that is supposed to be an open port (ref 2 new photos attached).Inline image

Inline image

Thanks again for all your efforts.
I look forward to taking a peek at one of our next GT’s or July event.
Until then, Cheers,
Jeff

On Monday, June 27, 2022, 2:38 PM, Rev. Mark McDowell via groups.io <marksmcd@...> wrote:

[...]

First picture shows location of line that goes over to charcoal canister with carburetor in place.

Second picture shows location of hose placement for a Weber I have on the bench.

Cheers,

Mark

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 4:26 PM, Jeff Detwiler via groups.io
<nsp7919@...> wrote:
[...]

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS

[...]

Weber Carb port for Canister hose.jpg
Thanks Pastor Mark,

First, WOW, I don't think my Weber ever looked that clean
even right out of the box..... Of course, it's been on for 30+ years.

So, now I know the connection, I suspect there is a fitting of some
sort that accepts the hose to the manifold.  I will need to get that.
In the meantime, I still need to track down a Vapor Separator and
rear Vapor tube to assemble the entire run.

Thanks so very much for taking the time to snap some photos and
help guide me back to a Gas-Free Boot.