Battery/Trickle Charger Help

Jeff Detwiler

Thanks for George and his wiring efforts, my MGB is back on theroad.

Unfortunately the ever rapidly shorter sunsets do not give meenough

time to go tooling around town after work to exercise the car veryoften.

Weekends are somewhat in conflict with other commitments not fitfor

such a little ride, so too many lost daylight hours there too.

Soon enough the Winter and Salt Gods will simply hide the carinside

until the Groundhog says it’s safe for my “B” to see its own shadowagain.

So, can anybody suggest a good, reliable or proven winner for aBattery/Trickle

Charger they have used or have had good success with keeping theirhibernating

batteries healthy over the low usage months?  Any suggestionsas to how often

sitting batteries should be hooked up and charged or are thereother tricks to

keeping the battery juiced up during the cold months?

Thanks for your help and advice,

Jeff Detwiler ’78 MGB

Kenneth Collins <kjcollins48@...>

Jeff,
Just start her up once a week and let her run 15 to 20 minutes. It should keep the battery charged just fine. Been doing this for years!!!!!
Best of luck,
Ken Collins

On Nov 19, 2015, at 8:17 PM, nsp7919@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

[...]

James Schulte <schultejim@...>

Get one that turns off and on automatically. Spend the xtra money that way.

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S®4 Active™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

[...]

Richard Storm <rhstorm47@...>

I use a Battery Tender Plus by Dellran that I picked up at Pep Boys.  It charges, but also monitors battery charge during storage. There's a light for each (charging and storage) that let's you know their status.  It's worked just fine for me.

Rich

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 8:53 PM, James Schulte schultejim@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

[...]

Roger Searle

I think running it weekly or a charger are good ideas.  But, for years I've stored mine for winter
upstate in an open hangar that does not have power.

After a long drive that ensures the battery is fully charged, I just unhook the ground lead from the
battery to stop any stray currents (e.g. clock and radio memory) from running it down.
In the Spring, normally the car starts without charging.

Even so, I think a low or dead battery freezes easier than a charged one and a frozen battery can
explode if charged.  Unless the car is protected from long duration below freezing temperatures keeping
the battery constantly charged seems the best approach.

- Roger -

[...]

If you are not running the car during the cold winter months, why not just remove the battery and store it in a warm place? I still believe starting and running the car for short periods of time, whether in hot or cold weather will not only keep the battery charged, but also will keep the engine in good running order. The worst thing for our 40 plus year old cars is to let them sit idle for months and possibly years. They need to be run and driven as much as possible!!!!!
Ken

[...]

Nils Ny <ny.nils@...>

There is only one to consider ... "Battery Tender" (regular size not Jr.)
Just keep it plugged in whenever you have it parked in the garage, it's smart enough to know the state of the battery and adjust itself so it never harms your battery.
Oh, it comes with a short cable and adapters so you can permanently mount it to your battery and simply plug it in whenever you need, so you don't need to move your top and undo the battery cover every time you plug it in.
Alternately you could also connect the small cord to Grd and the Brown wires at the fuse block under the hood if you wish.

​Nils

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 8:17 PM, nsp7919@... [Philly_MG_Club] <Philly_MG_Club@...> wrote:

[...]

Rich Williamson

Jeff,

I know many people just say “drive it”, however we all know that isn’t always possible.

I personally like to start the car every 10-14 days, and drive around the block after letting it warm up IF I CAN.

However, that is not always possible.

I swear by them.

When I rode bikes, I used to use them on my motorcycles in the off season.

I still use one on my tractor, and I have one for my MGB.

They “analyze, charge, and float / maintain” your battery versus simply plugging it in and possibly damaging or boiling your battery over by over-charging.

The nice thing is (at least in a 1965 B) is that you can attach the “quick connect” to the battery, and sneak the cable out of the battery compartment lid.

You can then hide the connector under the back shelf carpet, and only pull it out when you plug in.

I think they all come with quick connectors, and if they don’t they are worth buying, since you don’t have to take the cover off the battery compartment every time you want to connect.

I find that if it is snowy out and I know it will be a couple of weeks before I drive again, I simply plug it in.

It makes it so much less stressful, when I hear the starter motor spin easily and quickly without a slowing due to low battery charge.  The car starts nicely, and I have no stress.

Sometimes your car can sit for a while and may need a couple of cranks / turnover before it starts.  This way, my battery is up for the challenge.

I hope this helps.

Rich

PS. Sta-bil in the gas tank in the winter helps too.

[...]

______
Rich Williamson

HOME COMPUTER e-mail address

Randy Alkins

Look into Startron Blue formula instead of StaBil.  Have used in boat fuel for 5+ yrs for phase separation.  I have to treat 175+ gal at a time for winter storage.