Tire installation - Creamery tire

Rich Williamson

I thought I would pass along my experience with Creamery Tire.

I had 4 new tires installed on my wire rims (traditional painted 14 inch rims).

As you may know, wire rim wheels need inner tubes, even when installing "tubeless" tires.

I was driving around all day in my car, and stopped at a stop sign.  I accelerated pretty hard away from the stop sign, and immediately I felt the spin / wobble of a fast blowout.

I am really happy that this did not happen at highway speed.  That could have been catastrophic!

Once I pulled over (only a couple of feet) to change the tire, I immediately saw that there was no rubber wheel liner / rim band to protect the tube from the rough spokes.

I contacted Creamery, and they told me to stop in.  I dropped the burst tire, and told them that I wanted to return in a couple of days to have the other wheels checked for liners.

When I talked to the manager there, he told me that he could not get the liners, and that they would run a couple of layers of duct tape around the rim.   I did not like hearing this.

That evening, I did a little online research, and found out that the duct tape solution was not a good one, and that it typically will heat up and melt over time.  I found a posting with a link to the Moss Motors site.  The link took me to a page that sold the rubber liners.  I called in an order (I had to pay for 2 day shipping in order to get the parts in time for my next appointment.

MossMotors.com - Restoration Parts And Accessories For British Cars

When I went back to Creamery Tire, I had them remove all of the wheels to check if the rubber was inside the wheels.  I found out that 3 of the 4 wheels on the car had rubber in them (3 out of 5 total wheels including the spare that they set up had rubber in them).  Of the wheels that had rubber in them, the rubber looked a little old and in need of replacement.

The guys in the workshop were really excellent, and made sure everything was set up properly, and that the wheels had the rubber in them.  They liked the car, and allowed me to watch in the first bay while they worked on it (since they were confused what to do to the car - I supervised).  At that point the tires were all set up properly.

I then went into the office and was told that I had an invoice for the time and for a new tube.  I asked why I had to pay anything, since they had set the wheels up incorrectly in the first place.  I told them that it was lucky that this blowout did not happen at speed.  I was quiet and polite, and after some talk back and forth between the cashier and the manager, they told me that it was free of charge.  He did say that he only does 5 cars like this a year.

At the end, I did get what I paid for, but with a few significant bumps along the way.  I still think that they are a decent company, but they need to be told about installing the liners, and you need to buy them yourself.